Thursday, February 12, 2009

Here comes yellow...


This is an interesting time of the winter. Everyone is looking for signs of spring. Down the street a few blocks is a burst of forysthia blooms, and my other neighbor around the corner has a full stand of daffodil blooms, fully open.
My daffodils are pushing up, I can see the flower buds, but they look like they are a day or two away from really opening. I look at them daily now but I'm sure I will still feel surprised and pleased when I notice them opening.

However, there are dozens of sly crocus flowers spotting the lawn, yellow, thus the continuing theme here. I cannot recall if there are other colors in my lawn. And as predicted, my hellebores are fully blooming now. I don't know the variety as these were a hand-me-down from a relative but they are a creamy lime white, just gorgeous.

Before long, Nashville will be highlighted by mounds of forsythia, daffodils, hyacinth...then we'll start seeing the soulangiana magnolia and its light pink flowers. The dogwoods look ready to pop too. I am sure we will feel some more cold, but isn't it great we have these hopeful hints of spring. I can already see stunning gardens and blooming wildflowers in my mind's eye.

No comments: