Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Still cold!

What a winter.
Sunday was an anomoly - 60s and sunny, hope everyone was able to get outside like I did. But now we're back to some reasonable cold. Reasonable I say because after the really cold bit in January, mid 40s is starting to feel nice.
The average temperatures in December were almost 10 degrees lower than last year, and January was about 5 degrees colder average than 08.

I'm seeing some delays ...my helleborus has been sending up new shoots for about 2 weeks, but not even starting to bloom yet. I recall full blooms in a January snow 2 years ago. Guess this might be a 'Valentine' Rose this year.

Also, I'm finally seeing shoots from my daffodils. I think the blooms are still about 2 weeks away or more. Mine are in a cooler spot, but in past years I have usually seen some daffodils full up in early to mid January.

Well, I'm going to go ahead and start some seeds for winter veggies ( greens, broccoli, onion sets) in late February...they will sprout when they are ready.

The happy part in all this....have you been noticing how the daylight is lasting later into the evening?
Have a good February!

No comments: